Sunday, August 12, 2012

Camp Kesem!

Where to even begin? Since last August I have been volunteering with Camp Kesem SUU. We were starting our chapter, and it was nuts. I was stressed, frustrated, and cried myself to sleep many times thinking it just wouldn't happen. We organized fundraisers, found campers and counselors, and up until the kids started showing up, had nightmares about whether or not it would happen. The admin team didn't sleep for weeks coming into camp because we were remembering everything we had forgotten to do that day. I honestly had a constant nightmare that none of the kids would show up. Gouda (our co-chair) was having nightmares about a forest fire since we'd had so many here this summer. Tink was hoping the schedule would work out. We all had constant headaches. But it was SO WORTH IT!!

Monday morning we had 29 campers show up to Navajo Trails camp in Bicknell, Utah. We started a week that I will always remember as the best week of my life. These kids all have one thing in common: a parent with cancer. They have had to grow up way too soon, and worry about things no child should ever worry about. This week was a chance for them to just be kids, and have the fun they should be having every day while not worrying about cancer.

We had five days jam packed with fun activities, food, water games, etc. My throat is still raw from all the camp songs and games and giving directions. I'm covered in bug bites. I did not get nearly enough sleep as we were getting ready for the next day. I showered with spiders. My lips are chapped because my chapstick disappeared during our enlargement skit. If I ever have to play "Ride that Pony" ever again it will be too soon. So overall, the best week ever.

I got to watch children relax. I got to see them blossom. I got to see them talk to other kids who know exactly what they are going through. I saw them make friends and build relationships that will last forever, because they will forever have a parent that had cancer. I saw them build a support system that will see them through rough times, good times, and, unfortunately for some, funerals. They found out they are in this together, which is something some of them never imagined. They were exchanging phone numbers and email addresses so they can keep in touch. They were making plans for next year. They were talking about the thing that affects them all: Cancer. It's a terrifying word. Especially for a 6 year old. Some of them have already lost parents. Some of them know they soon will. But they also know they will never be alone because of the relationships they have made.

These children have strength that I hope I can emulate. They go through a life that they should not have to face with unending energy and joy. They step up to fill the shoes of their sick parent because they have to do something or feel helpless. They care for younger siblings, make dinner, do the laundry, clean the house, etc. This week we gave them a chance to regain their childlike energy and get ready to face whatever is coming their way.

We aren't allowed to post pictures with campers on our personal sites, so here are the few I have without campers....

Last day of camp, admin staff thanking our counselors. 
 Getting ready for campers to show up.
 Waiting, waiting, waiting. 
 Our advisory board.
 Gouda with Karl.
 Karl ringing the bell
 Karl all dressed up for western day
 Island day.
 Mexico day.
 One of the campers made me a key chain. 
Phishy and I. 

They kept us laughing all week. They made us cry when they opened up about what they face at home everyday. They wore us out playing games and singing songs and having water fights. They came up with hilarious cheers and skits. They stayed up late to prank their counselors coming back from staff meeting. They got cuts and scrapes and bruises. They captured the flag over and over. They roped the bull, slid the slip'n'slide, made crafts, decorated pinatas, played with Karl Kesem, did sack races, three legged races, and just had a whole lot of fun. We were expecting them to stay up late all night. But we wore them out so much, they were asleep by midnight every night. They got to be a kid. 29 children got the chance of a lifetime to just have fun. All the sleepless nights, stress and worry were beyond worth it.

P.S. My new blog title comes from one of our adorable six year old campers who was always asking us to cut him some swack:) His lisp was so adorable I just couldn't spell it slack. :)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like such a fun thing! I know it was a ton of work for you! I'm glad that it was such a rewarding thing! Your a strong girl Michelle and I'm sure you've touched many kids' lives! :)

    ReplyDelete