Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Amazing Summer Job

I officially have the greatest summer job ever. For those who don't know, this is my second summer working as a counselor at a summer day camp for special needs children. They range from mild autism to severe mental handicap. They are the most awesome children I have ever had the privilege of meeting. They are seriously amazing. Every day I have new stories to tell. Like today, two of the kids said my name. That may not seem like much, but with these kids, it is! I was so excited. One of the kids also gave me a high five, which is huge since he absolutely hates being touched in any way. At all. But while we were playing in the pool he gave me a big high five. It made my day! Sometimes people ask me if my job is hard. Well. It is, but not in the sense that most people think a job is hard. Some days it is incredibly frustrating. Some days I want to send them all home about five minutes after they get dropped off. But it is worth it. Every day we are helping these kids to have a fun, exciting summer that they couldn't have without us. I love the thought that I am making a difference, no matter how small that difference may seem. And on a side note, I did not get my hair wet in the pool today! Since I normally come out looking like a drowned rat, that is a major accomplishment:)

No comments:

Post a Comment